Saturday, October 4, 2014

Annabelle (2014)

Before there was The Conjuring there was Annabelle

I have to say that I have been dying to see this movie, since I first saw the Annabelle doll in The Conjuring, and I think we all can agree that we knew a movie for the doll was coming.  While the movie was good and can easily lead to a sequel, as The Conjuring also did, I wasn't overly thrilled with the movie.  It took awhile to get into the movie and the characters were quite boring. Since this was more of an origins tale, I am hoping that the sequel, because there should be one to tell the Nurse's story, and of course Ed and Lorraine Warren's involvement with the doll, will be better.  

So the movie starts off almost exactly like The Conjuring did, we eventually go back and meet Mia and John, who are expecting their first baby.  Mia happens to be a collector of dolls and John buys her Annabelle, which completes one of her collections.  The night they get her their neighbors are killed by the neighbors daughter, Annabelle, who is in a cult.  Annabelle, the human, and her boyfriend enter John and Mia's house and try to kill them but the police arrive in time.  Unfortunately, Annabelle's blood spills on the doll and Annabelle becomes Annabelle, which pretty much starts the movie and all the bad things that happen. 

Annabelle herself is creepy, there were some parts that were good, but everything else lacked something.  From creepy kids, who I would've liked to known more about, to the fact that Annabelle was creepier in The Conjuring, and that movie wasn't even about the doll.  I also would've liked for them to have done something with Evelyn, they had me thinking she was going to get her own movie, but then they revealed her back story and it just wasn't what I wanted.   Hopefully if they plan to make a sequel, which I think they probably will, it will be better and hopefully it will give us the Nurses story.  Still hoping out for Wan to give us an Amityville remake, maybe next year?

Overall, it was good, but I wanted something more and it just didn't deliver.  Tell me what you thought of the movie in the comments, on Twitter (@SilentToHughes) or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SilentToHughes)

Hope you all have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment